Master the future of mobile devices in wearable technology
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Mastering Android Wear Development is a complete guide to wearable technology for experienced Android developers
* Notifications, voice input, coping with round screens – all the key challenges of wearable technology are covered
* This book describes not just how to write code for more » wearables, but also how to think about wearable technology and design apps that work well with the physical limitations of wearable devices
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for application developers (the web, mobile, and desktop) who are interested in building new wearable apps, and mobile developers who already have apps on iTunes or Google Play Store and are looking to provide Android Wear support for their existing Android or iOS apps.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Understand the Wearable computing technology
* Set up a development environment to build Android Wear apps using Android Studio
* Master the Android Wear SDK and APIs
* Understand the UI patterns and UX principles to build Android Wear apps
* Work with the different form factors of wearable devices (round and square)
* Take advantage of the sensors available on Android Wear devices
* Develop Android Wear sample apps
* Communicate between Android mobile and Android Wear apps
* Get to know the steps involved in publishing Android Wear apps to the Play store
Wearable technology is the future of mobile devices. It looks set to be a breakthrough technology, just like the iPad was before it. With the Apple Watch being widely regarded as a success, all eyes are now on Google to provide a similar device for its users. Keep your skills ahead of the competition and be one of the first to fully understand this powerful new trend. This book will give you a very solid understanding of the philosophy, thought process, development details, and methodologies involved in building well-designed, robust Android Wear applications.
We cover the advantages and disadvantages of the wearable computing paradigm and provide a good foundational knowledge for you to build practical, real-world wearable apps. You will learn about the various tools, platforms, libraries, SDKs, and technology needed to build Android Wear apps. By the end of the book, you will be an expert in building Android wearable apps.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This one-stop professional tutorial will teach you everything you need to know to begin designing and developing applications for this exciting new technology. Every step from development through testing to deployment is explained in depth. « less
Enabling Technologies, Platforms, and Use Cases
As more and more devices become interconnected through the Internet of Things (IoT), there is an even greater need for this book,which explains the technology, the internetworking, and applications that are making IoT an everyday reality.
The book begins with a discussion of IoT "ecosystems" and the more » technology that enables them, which includes:
* Infrastructure and Service Discovery Protocols
* Integration Technologies and Tools
* Application and Analytics Enablement Platforms
A chapter on next-generation cloud infrastructure explains hosting IoT platforms and applications. A chapter on data analytics throws light on IoT data collection, storage, translation, real-time processing, mining, and analysis, all of which can yield actionable insights from the data collected by IoT applications. There is also a chapter on edge/fog computing.
The second half of the book presents various IoT ecosystem use cases. One chapter discusses smart airports and highlights the role of IoT integration. It explains how mobile devices, mobile technology, wearables, RFID sensors, and beacons work together as the core technologies of a smart airport. Integrating these components into the airport ecosystem is examined in detail, and use cases and real-life examples illustrate this IoT ecosystem in operation. Another in-depth look is on envisioning smart healthcare systems in a connected world. This chapter focuses on the requirements, promising applications, and roles of cloud computing and data analytics. The book also examines smart homes, smart cities, and smart governments.
The book concludes with a chapter on IoT security and privacy. This chapter examines the emerging security and privacy requirements of IoT environments. The security issues and an assortment of surmounting techniques and best practices are also discussed in this chapter. « less
Effective UX for Current and Future Devices
Now may be the perfect time to enter the wearables industry. With the range of products that have appeared in recent years, you can determine which ideas resonate with users and which don’t before leaping into the market. In this practical guide, author Scott Sullivan examines the current wearables ecosystem more » and then demonstrates the impact that service design in particular will have on these types of devices going forward.
You’ll learn about the history and influence of activity trackers, smartwatches, wearable cameras, the controversial Google Glass experiment, and other devices that have come out of the recent Wild West period. This book also dives into many other aspects of wearables design, including tools for creating new products and methodologies for measuring their usefulness.
* Emerging types of wearable technologies
* How to design services around wearable devices
* Key concepts that govern service design
* Prototyping processes and tools such as Arduino and Processing
* The importance of storytelling for introducing new wearables
* How wearables will change our relationship with computers « less
Although wearable devices have existed since the 70s, they have only recently become mainstream. Google Glass and Android Wear smartwatches, in particular, are relatively new devices that provide countless opportunities for creating innovative apps with unprecedented user experiences. Beginning Android more » Wearables gives you the skills you need to take part in the wearable revolution and to delight your users by providing the information they need at the tips of their fingers.
This book is very practical and contains many examples that not only show you how to write code for Glass and Android Wear, but also demonstrate how to apply this code in the context of an app. « less