A complete pentesting guide facilitating smooth backtracking for working hackers
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Conduct network testing, surveillance, pen testing and forensics on MS Windows using Kali Linux
* Gain a deep understanding of the flaws in web applications and exploit them in a practical manner
* Pentest Android apps and perform various attacks in the real world using real case more » studies
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This course is for anyone who wants to learn about security. Basic knowledge of Android programming would be a plus.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Exploit several common Windows network vulnerabilities
* Recover lost files, investigate successful hacks, and discover hidden data in innocent-looking files
* Expose vulnerabilities present in web servers and their applications using server-side attacks
* Use SQL and cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks
* Check for XSS flaws using the burp suite proxy
* Acquaint yourself with the fundamental building blocks of Android Apps in the right way
* Take a look at how your personal data can be stolen by malicious attackers
* See how developers make mistakes that allow attackers to steal data from phones
The need for penetration testers has grown well over what the IT industry ever anticipated. Running just a vulnerability scanner is no longer an effective method to determine whether a business is truly secure. This learning path will help you develop the most effective penetration testing skills to protect your Windows, web applications, and Android devices.
The first module focuses on the Windows platform, which is one of the most common OSes, and managing its security spawned the discipline of IT security. Kali Linux is the premier platform for testing and maintaining Windows security. Employs the most advanced tools and techniques to reproduce the methods used by sophisticated hackers. In this module first,you'll be introduced to Kali's top ten tools and other useful reporting tools. Then, you will find your way around your target network and determine known vulnerabilities so you can exploit a system remotely. You'll not only learn to penetrate in the machine, but will also learn to work with Windows privilege escalations.
The second module will help you get to grips with the tools used in Kali Linux 2.0 that relate to web application hacking. You will get to know about scripting and input validation flaws, AJAX, and security issues related to AJAX. You will also use an automated technique called fuzzing so you can identify flaws in a web application. Finally, you'll understand the web application vulnerabilities and the ways they can be exploited.
In the last module, you'll get started with Android security. Android, being the platform with the largest consumer base, is the obvious primary target for attackers. You'll begin this journey with the absolute basics and will then slowly gear up to the concepts of Android rooting, application security assessments, malware, infecting APK files, and fuzzing. You'll gain the skills necessary to perform Android application vulnerability assessments and to create an Android pentesting lab.
This Learning Path is a blend of content from the following Packt products:
* Kali Linux 2: Windows Penetration Testing by Wolf Halton and Bo Weaver
* Web Penetration Testing with Kali Linux, Second Edition by Juned Ahmed Ansari
* Hacking Android by Srinivasa Rao Kotipalli and Mohammed A. Imran
STYLE AND APPROACH
This course uses easy-to-understand yet professional language for explaining concepts to test your network's security. « less
* Configure and manage Linux servers in varying scenarios and for a range of business requirements
* Explore the up-to-date features of CentOS using real-world scenarios
* See practical and extensive recipes to deploy and manage CentOS
CentOS is derived from Red Hat more » Enterprise Linux (RHEL) sources and is widely used as a Linux server. This book will help you to better configure and manage Linux servers in varying scenarios and business requirements.
Starting with installing CentOS, this book will walk you through the networking aspects of CentOS. You will then learn how to manage users and their permissions, software installs, disks, filesystems, and so on. You ll then see how to secure connection to remotely access a desktop and work with databases. Toward the end, you will find out how to manage DNS, e-mails, web servers, and more. You will also learn to detect threats by monitoring network intrusion. Finally, the book will cover virtualization techniques that will help you make the most of CentOS.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* See how to deploy CentOS easily and painlessly, even in multi-server environments
* Configure various methods of remote access to the server so you don t always have to be in the data center
* Make changes to the default configuration of many services to harden them and increase the security of the system
* Learn to manage DNS, emails and web servers
* Protect yourself from threats by monitoring and logging network intrusion and system intrusion attempts, rootkits, and viruses
* Take advantage of today s powerful hardware by running multiple systems using virtualization
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Timothy Boronczyk is a native of Syracuse, New York, where he works as a lead developer at Optanix, Inc. (formerly ShoreGroup, Inc.). He's been involved with web technologies since 1998, has a degree in Software Application Programming, and is a Zend Certified Engineer. In what little spare time he has left, Timothy enjoys hanging out with friends, studying Esperanto, and sleeping with his feet off the end of the bed. He's easily distracted by shiny objects.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Getting Started with CentOS
3. User and Permission Management
4. Software Installation Management
5. Managing Filesystems and Storage
6. Allowing Remote Access
7. Working with Databases
8. Managing Domains and DNS
9. Managing E-mails
10. Managing Web Servers
11. Safeguarding Against Threats
12. Virtualization « less
A Problem-Solution Approach
Solve your Go problems using a problem-solution approach. Each recipe is a self-contained answer to a practical programming problem in Go. Go Recipes contains recipes that deal with the fundamentals of Go, allowing you to build simple, reliable, and efficient software. Other topics include working with more » data using modern NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and RethinkDB. The book provides in-depth guidance for building highly scalable backend APIs in Go for your mobile client applications and web client applications.
All this means that you’ll be able to write programs that get the most out of multicore and networked machines, using Go’s novel type system that enables flexible and modular program construction. You'll see how to test your Go applications so they are ready for deployment, as well as learning how to write HTTP servers to offer you maximum flexibility when dealing with remote clients.
What You'll LearnWork with the core fundamentals of GoPersist data into NoSQL databasesBuild scalable backend APIsTest your Go applicationsCreate HTTP web servers in Go
Who This Book Is For
Experienced programmers who have some or no prior experience with Go. « less
Linux systems are everywhere today, even in companies once considered "pure Windows." If you’re a sysadmin, network administrator, or developer in a small Windows shop, you may have to jump in and fix a system problem when your site goes down. What if you have no Linux knowledge? This short guide provides more » tips to help you survive.
Linux systems may appear in your shop as virtual machines or in the cloud, including web servers, databases, mobile device managers, version control, and monitoring systems. When one of them falters, this primer leads you through some diagnostic and recovery tasks so you can quickly get your site back up.
- Connect to a Linux system with OpenSSH and PuTTY secure shells
- List files and directories, and move around within the file system
- Safely inspect the file contents without changing them
- Narrow your search by using commands to locate specific files
- Use the grep command to search for error messages inside a file
- Determine real-time system state to find underlying problems
- Examine disk utilization and zero in on space-hogging files
- Transfer suspect files from Linux to Windows for later analysis
- Use commands to start, stop, restart, or even kill unresponsive services
- Know where to find help when troubleshooting isn’t enough « less
Learn every aspect to build web applications from scratch
This book is primarily intended for beginners who wants to learn various aspects of software engineering and building web applications using Java programming language.
The objective of this book is to teach building modern day business web applications using java and other related technologies. This book teaches everything in details and in simpler way about building web applications with medium to high level of complexity. This book also covers various software engineering concepts that are required for building software solutions.
The book takes you through each and every step of building a web application from scratch. The objective is to teach the reader every single aspect of software engineering required for building web applications from inception till deployment and support. In order to achieve the objective, a real life business requirement is taken and the sample project is built step by step from requirements gathering till deployment and support.
The book includes building a light weight MVC based Java framework and building the sample web application using it. During the course architecture, SDLC, UML, security, ajax, various patterns, best practices and other related topics are explained.
The best way to learn anything is to get the hands dirty. When a developer starts building any software solution, he/she gets lots of doubts and questions while actually doing it. When the reader architects, designs and does the coding hands on, the reader learns every aspect practically. When the reader builds the working application step by step, the confidence of the reader as a developer is boosted. « less
Excel in Nginx quickly by learning to use its most essential features in real-life applications
Nginx is an open source and cross-platform reverse proxy server designed for low memory usage and high performance and concurrency.
This book provides both basic and in-depth knowledge to help you effectively solve challenges with Nginx, or comfortably go through a transition period when switching to more » Nginx.
Starting with the basics, you will learn by example how to set up, configure, and operate an Nginx installation and use features of Nginx to elegantly solve challenges you experience every day when running your website. You will learn to use the rewrite engine to solve day-to-day tasks and be able to configure access restrictions in Nginx. You will also be able to manage inbound traffic using a number of Nginx features and use Nginx for load balancing and fault-tolerance features. Finally, you will learn how to solve common performance problems and apply a number of performance-tuning strategies.
Through easy exploration of the most intricate topics, this book aims to bring you to the next level in your Nginx experience.
***** About This Book *****
* Learn how to set up, configure, and operate an Nginx installation for day-to-day use
* Explore the vast features of Nginx to manage it like a pro, and use them successfully to run your website
* Example-based guide to get the best out of Nginx to reduce resource usage footprint
***** Who This Book Is For *****
This book is ideal for skilled web masters and site reliability engineers who want to switch to Nginx or solidify their knowledge of Nginx. Knowledge of Unix and webmaster skills are required.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Get started with an Nginx installation from scratch in various environments and customize it for your purposes
* Start and stop a basic Nginx installation, discover the basics of process management, and learn how to set up Nginx to serve static data
* Create highly-maintainable configuration files to perform the most critical Nginx maintenance tasks
* Set up Nginx as a reverse proxy and learn to use the Nginx caching feature
* Discover how to benefit from the Nginx rewrite engine and how to use access restrictions in Nginx
* Use various Nginx features to manage inbound traffic and understand how to use Nginx load balancing and fault tolerance features
* Understand advanced feature-independent performance tuning strategies and optimizations
* Manage inbound and outbound traffic and configure access control « less
Web Server Administration offers a comprehensive overview of the tools and techniques needed to succeed as a Web Server Administrator as well as the tasks they are expected to perform. This text provides and introduction to the basics of this job role, covers server installation, and then moves on to more » the installation, configuration, and administration of Web servers. This text covers all topics for both Linux and a Microsoft Windows server environments. Work with Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003, Red Hat Linux, Internet Information Services (IIS), Apache Web server, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server, sendmail, and more. « less
Solve Real-life Linux Problems Quickly
If you're an experienced system administrator looking to acquire Linux skills, or a seasoned Linux user facing a new challenge, Linux System Administration offers practical knowledge for managing a complete range of Linux systems and servers. The book summarizes the steps you need to build everything more » from standalone Soho hubs, web servers, and Lan servers to load-balanced clusters and servers consolidated through virtualization. Along the way, you'll learn about all of the tools you need to set up and maintain these working environments.
Linux is now a standard corporate platform with users numbering in the hundreds of millions, and there is a definite shortage of talented administrators. Linux System Administration is ideal as an introduction to Linux for Unix veterans, Mcses, and mainframe administrators, and as an advanced (and refresher) guide for existing Linux administrators who will want to jump into the middle of the book. Inside, you'll learn how to:
* Set up a stand-alone Linux server
* Install, configure, maintain, and troubleshoot a Dns server using Bind
* Build an Internet server to manage sites, perform email and file transfers, and more
* Set up an email service for a small-to-medium-sized site, complete with authentication
* Install and configure Apache, Php, and MySql on a web server built from scratch
* Combine computers into a load-balanced Apache web server cluster based on the free Linux Virtual Server
* Set up local network services from distributed file systems to Dhcp services, gateway services, print services, user management and more
* Use Linux virtualization with Xen or Vmware to run multiple kernels on one piece of hardware; manage each kernel's access to processor time, devices, and memory « less