The Basics, the Technologies and Best Practices
Details can be found on the web - when you know what to look for
The aim of this book is to help you understand the technologies behind the devices used in the Internet Of Things. This is done with a mixture of theory, examples and 'war-stories'.
This book may be read by senior students, but it is more » more likely to be read by programmers and developers, who have done some programming of PC's in Windows or Linux, and are now faced with developing devices for the Internet Of Things. Basic programming skills are thus assumed, whereas no prior knowledge on TCP/IP and Digital Signal Processing is needed. Based on many years of experience as developer, university-teacher and manager, the author's personal view on best practices in the embedded world is offered.
* Part I introduces the main features of Embedded Operating Systems and modern highly integrated CPU's and thus builds the foundation for part II.
* Part II - on Internet Protocols and Digital Filters - is the main 'textbook'. It provides a lot of facts, backed up by examples. The many network cases are illustrated with the help of WireShark Captures. The chapter on digital filters is focused on making the reader understand the basics, without getting lost in formulas.
* Part III describes the authors experience with best practices when working with embedded networking. The author's experience as a developer, combined with his overview as manager, results in a pragmatic and highly usable set of guidelines.
One of the strongest features of this book is the many figures. They make the book inviting and helps the reader remember the knowledge given. « less
This book is not for professional hackers. Instead, this book is made for beginners who have programming experience and are interested in hacking.
Here, hacking techniques that can be easily understood have been described.
If you only have a home PC, you can test all the examples more » provided here.
I have included many figures that are intuitively understandable rather than a litany of explanations.
Therefore, it is possible to gain some practical experience while hacking, since I have only used examples that can actually be implemented.
This book is therefore necessary for ordinary people who have a curiosity of hackers and are interested in computers.
ORGANIZATION OF THE BOOK
A beginner is naturally expected to become a hacker while reading this book.
Briefly introduce the basic Python syntax that is necessary for hacking.
A variety of tools and the Python language can be combined to support network hacking and to introduce the network hacking technique.
Briefly, we introduce NMap with the Wireshark tool, and hacking techniques such as Port Scanning, Packet Sniffing, TCP SYN Flood, Slowris Attack are introduced.
Python Application Hacking Essentials
Basic Concept for a Windows Application
Message Hooking Utilizing ctypes
API hook utilizing pydbg module
Image File Hacking
Python Web Hacking Essentials
Overview of Web Hacking
Configure Test Environment
Password Cracking Attack
Web Shell Attack
Python Network Hacking Essentials
Network Hacking Introduction
Configure a Test Environment
Vulnerability Analysis via Port Scanning
Stealing Credentials Using Packet Sniffing
Overview of a DoS Attack
DoS - Ping of Death
DoS - TCP SYN Flood
DoS - Slowloris Attack
Python System Hacking Essentials
System Hacking Overview
Stack-Based Buffer Overflow
SEH Based Buffer Overflow
Python Hacking Essentials
Contains All Contents Above « less
Get up and running with Wireshark to analyze network packets and protocols effectively
***** About This Book *****
* Troubleshoot problems, identify security risks, and measure key application performance metrics with Wireshark
* Gain valuable insights into the network and application protocols, and the key fields in each protocol
* Configure Wireshark, and analyze networks and applications more » at the packet level with the help of practical examples and step-wise instructions
***** Who This Book Is For *****
This book is aimed at IT professionals who want to develop or enhance their packet analysis skills. Basic familiarity with common network and application services terms and technologies is assumed; however, expertise in advanced networking topics or protocols is not required. Readers in any IT field can develop the analysis skills specifically needed to complement and support their respective areas of responsibility and interest.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Discover how packet analysts view networks and the role of protocols at the packet level
* Capture and isolate all the right packets to perform a thorough analysis using Wireshark's extensive capture and display filtering capabilities
* Use the optimal timestamp displays, packet marking and coloring, and protocol-level settings for effective analysis of packets
* Select and configure the appropriate Wireshark features and functions for the analysis task at hand
* Troubleshoot connectivity and functionality issues in your network
* Analyze and report the leading causes of poor application performance
* Analyze packets to detect and identify malicious traffic and security threats
* Leverage the Wireshark command-line utilities for high performance or scripted analysis activities
***** In Detail *****
This book introduces the Wireshark network analyzer to IT professionals across multiple disciplines.
It starts off with the installation of Wireshark, before gradually taking you through your first packet capture, identifying and filtering out just the packets of interest, and saving them to a new file for later analysis. The subsequent chapters will build on this foundation by covering essential topics on the application of the right Wireshark features for analysis, network protocols essentials, troubleshooting, and analyzing performance issues. Finally, the book focuses on packet analysis for security tasks, command-line utilities, and tools that manage trace files.
Upon finishing this book, you will have successfully added strong Wireshark skills to your technical toolset and significantly increased your value as an IT professional. « less
Over 80 recipes to analyze and troubleshoot network problems using Wireshark
Is your network slow? Are your users complaining? Disconnections? IP Telephony problems? Video freezes? Network analysis is the process of isolating these problems and fixing them, and Wireshark has long been the most popular network analyzer for achieving this goal. Based on hundreds of solved cases, more » Network Analysis using Wireshark Cookbook provides you with practical recipes for effective Wireshark network analysis to analyze and troubleshoot your network.
"Network analysis using Wireshark Cookbook" highlights the operations of Wireshark as a network analyzer tool. This book provides you with a set of practical recipes to help you solve any problems in your network using a step-by-step approach.
"Network analysis using Wireshark Cookbook" starts by discussing the capabilities of Wireshark, such as the statistical tools and the expert system, capture and display filters, and how to use them. The book then guides you through the details of the main networking protocols, that is, Ethernet, LAN switching, and TCP/IP, and then discusses the details of application protocols and their behavior over the network. Among the application protocols that are discussed in the book are standard Internet protocols like HTTP, mail protocols, FTP, and DNS, along with the behavior of databases, terminal server clients, Citrix, and other applications that are common in the IT environment.
In a bottom-up troubleshooting approach, the book goes up through the layers of the OSI reference model explaining how to resolve networking problems. The book starts from Ethernet and LAN switching, through IP, and then on to TCP/UDP with a focus on TCP performance problems. It also focuses on WLAN security. Then, we go through application behavior issues including HTTP, mail, DNS, and other common protocols. The book finishes with a look at network forensics and how to search and find security problems that might harm the network. « less
Analyzing and Troubleshooting Network Traffic
The Wireshark Field Guide provides hackers, pen testers, and network administrators with practical guidance on capturing and interactively browsing computer network traffic. Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer, with a rich feature set that includes deep inspection of hundreds more » of protocols, live capture, offline analysis and many other features.
The Wireshark Field Guide covers the installation, configuration and use of this powerful multi-platform tool. The book give readers the hands-on skills to be more productive with Wireshark as they drill down into the information contained in real-time network traffic. Readers will learn the fundamentals of packet capture and inspection, the use of color codes and filters, deep analysis, including probes and taps, and much more.
The Wireshark Field Guide is an indispensable companion for network technicians, operators, and engineers.
* Learn the fundamentals of using Wireshark in a concise field manual
* Quickly create functional filters that will allow you to get to work quickly on solving problems
* Understand the myriad of options and the deep functionality of Wireshark
* Solve common network problems
* Learn some advanced features, methods and helpful ways to work more quickly and efficiently « less
The Complete Guide to Management, Troubleshooting, and Security
Windows Networking Tools: The Complete Guide to Management, Troubleshooting, and Security explains how to use built-in Windows networking tools and third-party networking products to diagnose network problems, address performance issues, and enhance the overall security of your system and network. It more » starts with a review of the major components of the TCP/IP protocol suite, as well as IP and MAC addressing, to provide a clear understanding of the various networking tools and how they are used in a LAN and a TCP/IP networking environment.
Although the book focuses on built-in Windows networking tools, it also investigates a number of third-party products that can enhance the performance of your computer. It identifies tools to help you to understand the traffic flow and operational status of your network , illustrates the use of numerous tools, and shows you several methods to protect your computers from malicious software. It also examines one of the best programs for examining the flow of data on a network—Wireshark—and explains how to use this program to scan for open ports and discover vulnerability issues.
In addition to helping you gain insight into existing problems, the text highlights built-in Windows networking tools that can help to determine if you can expect future bandwidth bottlenecks or other problems to occur under different growth scenarios.
Placing the proven methods of an industry veteran at your fingertips, the book includes a chapter devoted to software programs that can enhance the security of your network. It explains how to negate the operation of unwanted advertisement trackers as well as how to minimize and alleviate the various types of hacking—from keyboard loggers to network viruses. In the event your computational device is lost or stolen a cryptographic program is described that results in data becoming meaningless to the person or persons attempting to read your stored information. « less
Essential Skills for Network Analysis
This book, which we refer to simply as "Wireshark 101," is based on over 20 years of analyzing networks and teaching key analysis skills. It's the book so many people have asked for and is written with clear, concise instructions covering key analysis tasks.
If you take a quick look at the Table of more » Contents or Index, you'll see this book is packed with 46 step-by-step labs to help you master these key Wireshark skills. Some of the skills covered include:
- Filter on addresses, protocols, fields or traffic characteristics
- Create custom columns for more efficient analysis
- Find the source of delays with filters and coloring rules
- Perform unattended captures with auto-stop conditions
- Filter on keywords using wildcards and regular expressions
- Graph and compare user, subnet and application traffic
- Reassemble and extract a file from captured traffic
- Identify DNS and HTTP errors fast
- Export important packet details to .csv format
...and more « less
A quick and easy guide to getting started with network analysis using Wireshark
Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results. Documents key features and tasks that can be performed using Wireshark. Covers details of filters, statistical analysis, and other important tasks. Also includes advanced topics like decoding captured data, more » name resolution, and reassembling. « less
Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
It's easy to capture packets with Wireshark, the world's most popular network sniffer, whether off the wire or from the air. But how do you use those packets to understand what's happening on your network?
With an expanded discussion of network protocols and 45 completely new scenarios, this extensively more » revised second edition of the best-selling Practical Packet Analysis will teach you how to make sense of your PCAP data. You'll find new sections on troubleshooting slow networks and packet analysis for security to help you better understand how modern exploits and malware behave at the packet level. Add to this a thorough introduction to the TCP/IP network stack and you're on your way to packet analysis proficiency.
Learn how to:
* Use packet analysis to identify and resolve common network problems like loss of connectivity, DNS issues, sluggish speeds, and malware infections
* Build customized capture and display filters
* Monitor your network in real-time and tap live network communications
* Graph traffic patterns to visualize the data flowing across your network
* Use advanced Wireshark features to understand confusing captures
* Build statistics and reports to help you better explain technical network information to non-techies
Practical Packet Analysis is a must for any network technician, administrator, or engineer. Stop guessing and start troubleshooting the problems on your network. « less
Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
It's easy enough to install Wireshark and begin capturing packets off the wire - or from the air. But how do you interpret those packets once you've captured them? And how can those packets help you to better understand what's going on under the hood of your network? Practical Packet Analysis shows how more » to use Wireshark to capture and then analyze packets as you take an indepth look at real-world packet analysis and network troubleshooting. The way the pros do it.
Wireshark (derived from the Ethereal project), has become the world's most popular network sniffing application. But while Wireshark comes with documentation, there's not a whole lot of information to show you how to use it in real-world scenarios. « less